Wednesday 27 June 2007

Nothing to wear...

This afternoon I suddenly decided that I had nothing to wear to work tomorrow, so I'd better just ("just") make myself a little something.

That something turned out to be an a-line skirt, using up some leftover spotted cotton.
(Yes, this is how much I tend to overestimate my fabric needs. Two metres is considered "leftovers".)

Spotty a-line skirt


The skirt isn't ankle-length, as my ridiculous mannequin-with-no-waist suggests - it's actually just below the knee. The finished length is 25".

The fabric's 100% cotton, and the lining is polycotton. I hate using that polyester anti-static lining - it isn't anti-static at all, and it makes you all sweaty. I suppose it's okay when you've got tights on, but I don't wear tights, and it's horrid on bare legs. Yuck.

And speaking of yuck, I don't know what chemicals had been used in the dyeing or the finishing of this cotton, but oh my goodness, when you iron it, it STINKS! I had an hour's break for dinner, came back out to the Shed, and the whole room just reeked of petrochemicals. Lovely. Goodness knows what horrors I've been inhaling as I was ironing that fabric.

As soon as my fabric stash has been used up (down?) to an acceptable level, it's recycled and organic fabrics only. No more stinky chemical-ridden fabric here, thank you very much.

No comments: