Wednesday 9 July 2008

Buttoned up...

I was hoping to finish Jenny's coat today. Six hours of hand-sewing later, and I realise that I have vastly underestimated how long it would take to sew on all the buttons!

Today I have stitched down the facings to the lining, and bound the bottom edge of the coat. Oh, and sewn on forty buttons. Yes, forty! (Twenty of them are on the inside.)

Jenny's Pirate coat - now with buttons!

Twenty-two more buttons to go, and then all I have to do is press the cuffs and turn up the hem.

I honestly have no idea how many hours I've put into making this coat. more than I expected, but then I always underestimate how much time it takes to do the finishing touches. Somehow this coat seems to have been made up entirely of finishing touches!


Even though the coat isn't mine, I should probably to confess to having tried it on. I had a sneaky flounce around the Shed in it, and it's absolutely gorgeous to wear. It's definitely on my list as one of the things I want to make for myself, when time permits. I wonder how it would look in pink PVC with little white spots...?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It still looks amazing. Where did you buy the fabric?

Claire Smith said...

Thank you!

I bought the fabric from my local John Lewis - in the furnishing fabrics department!