Friday 21 September 2007

Simplicity in "Pattern Fits First Time" Shocker!

Actually, that title is a) uncharitable, and b) not entirely true. ;)

I can usually rely on Simplicity patterns, in that a size 14 is usually pretty much my size. A bit big in the bust, a bit tight in the waist, but nothing that a little fiddling about with can't sort out. This pattern conforms exactly to my expectations - all I need to do is let out the darts a little bit in the front.

I'm talking about Simplicity 6373, which I bought the other week, and have been slowly putting together a toile for myself in between other work.



I'm making view C, with the wider skirt.
(I cut the skirt on a fold though, because I didn't like the seam down the front.)

The darts fit absolutely perfectly in the back, mostly because my back is very curved, and therefore the right shape for a 1950s pattern. Unfortunately my front is also curved, hence my needing to let out the darts a little bit! It's probably only a matter of an inch and a half though, divided across all six darts, and that should also give me enough room to fit a long sleeved t-shirt underneath in the winter.

I'm very pleasantly surprised that this dress has been such a joy to put together. I've bought any number of 1950s reproduction patterns, mostly from Butterick and Vogue, and every time the pattern sizing has been completely wrong for a modern figure. It looks as though this Simplicity pattern has been re-graded, which pleases me greatly. It's very demoralising to have to take out twelve inches from the bust of a Vintage Vogue pattern to get it to fit you.

Simplicity 3673 is also pretty frugal with its fabric requirements, expecially for a 1950s style. View C only uses 2.6 metres in my size, so it's going to be an affordable dress to make, as well as a practical one. I just need to add pockets into the side seams, and it's pretty much perfect!

I rather like quite a few of Simplicity's Retro patterns (type "retro" into the keyword search and ignore the costumes!), so I very much hope that it's a trend they're going to continue.

No comments: