Monday 24 March 2008

A Knitting Milestone.

This weekend contained a knitting milestone. For the first time ever, my Mum phoned me to ask for knitting advice!

This is a marked improvement from a conversation we had about two years ago, when I was knitting a small swatch so that my Mum could show me some different types of increases.

Mum: What are you doing?
Me: Knitting...
Mum: No you're not!

Turns out I'd been knitting through the back loop all along, which was why I couldn't get a kfb increase to work. Still, I'd managed to throw together two jumpers that way, and they looked alright... ;)



Issue 40 of Simply Knitting dropped through my letterbox on Saturday, and it has a pattern for the most gorgeous long mohair jumper. ("Spook" from Rowan Magazine 43 - although Simply Knitting has much nicer pictures!) It takes 5 balls of Kidsilk Haze in my size, although I am extremely tempted to go out and buy four more skeins of magenta Colinette Parisienne instead.

My only concern is that I've tried knitting with Parisienne before, and I absolutely loathed it. I'm used to knitting on large needles (6.5mm and up) with chunky wool, so knitting mohair on 3.5mm needles felt like wrestling spiderwebs and gave me cramp in my hands. The question is, do I want to wear this jumper enough to be able to put up with the horrors of knitting it...?

No comments: