Friday 7 March 2008

Shira's Fishtail Skirt - ups and downs.

I've just finished the toile for Shira's skirt, and her whole outfit is now in the post. Once Shira's tried it on, she can give me some feedback, and I can start work on the Real Thing.

The skirt is Simplicity 4401, view F. It's a fishtail style - fitted at the top, and flared out from below the knees. The fabric we'll be using for the real thing is a shimmery viscose, which is wonderfully soft and drapey.

Shira's outfit - toile


Thankfully, the viscose fabric also very clearly has a right and a wrong side. this should help to prevent me from making the same stupid mistake that I've just made on the mock-up!

I managed to sew one side front/side back panel together back to front, so for the mock-up, Shira will have to negotiate an inconvenient hip-shaped seam over her stomach. Oops.

Normally I would have undone the seam and started again. Unfortunately I didn't realise what I'd done until after I'd overlocked all the seams, and I didn't have enough plain black fabric left to make the skirt again. We're also running on quite a tight deadline, so I made the executive decision that it was better to send a mock-up with a mistake in it, than to risk rushing the final skirt and end up doing something even more daft.


I'm extremely cross with myself for making such a ridiculous mistake - such is the peril of using a fabric without an obvious right and wrong side! Still, at least it wasn't on the real thing, and I don't think it's a mistake I'll be making again any time soon.

No comments: