Wednesday 4 July 2007

Heroes in a half shell...

Here is something which Nannyo has been waiting a long time to see - photos of her turtle dress!

It's still a work in progress, but it's started, and it looks like a dress. I'm secretly madly in love with it, and if it was my size I'd be running off with it and keeping it for myself. The fabric is lovely to work with, it drapes really nicely, and I think it'll be really comfortable to wear.

Unfortunately my hands are now BRIGHT BLUE, so I think I'd better give this a run through the washing machine with some salt before I pass it on to Nannyo!


1)Out with the old... 2)Pattern and Fabric


1) This is Nannyo's old sundress, which has met with a sad demise. (There are holes in the fabric at the front.) It's navy viscose, with cream seashells printed all over it. It buttons to the waist at the front, and has narrow straps.

2) This pattern was the starting point for the replacement - Simplicity 5561. I made a new pattern, partly from this one, and partly from tracing the panels of the existing dress. I had to take out the back zip (I took out the centre back seam completely), and added facings at the front to create the new button fastening. I also increased the proportions of the bust, as the pattern is a B cup, and Nannyo isn't!


3)First Draft 4)Turtle!


3) Okay, so it still needs some important elements - like facings, straps and buttons - but you get the general idea!

4) This is a close-up of the fabric - it's a cotton batik with a turtle design! The turtles are about 4" long.

No comments: