Friday 19 October 2007

Some days, you just shouldn't knit.

I was off work yesterday, with tonsilitis, so I thought I'd have a nice relaxing afternoon on the sofa, gently coughing into a bit of nice simple knitting.

I had a skein of Colinette Parisienne mohair and a skein of Debbie Bliss Pure Silk, which I thought would pair up nicely together to make a fabulously soft scarf.

I wound them into balls with my trusty ball winder, and made a start.



I had wondered whether the mohair might be a bit of a pain, as I'm using two strands held together with one strand of the silk, and I was a bit worried that I might get into a tangle using the yarn from both the inside and the outside of the ball at once.

Three rows later, and I discover that the problem is not going to be with the mohair, but with the silk.



My carefully wound ball has started to fall apart at both ends!

An hour of careful untangling later, and I am faced with this:



That could have gone better. :(


The LiveJournal brit_knits community have been extremely helpful, and in the end I was able to untangle the whole thing, without taking the scissors to it! It only took five and three-quarter hours... I could have knitted the whole scarf in that time!

Speaking of which... I'm about twenty rows in, and I've now decided that the scarf is too wide. I'm really not sure yet whether I can face unravelling the knitting as well as the yarn, so I might just have to learn to live with a short, wide scarf!


Lesson Of The Day: Don't wind silk into centre-pull balls!

No comments: