Monday 14 January 2008

Would you like chips with that?

Today I have been mostly making a fish skirt!

I've been hoarding this fabric for ages, I wanted to make an elasticated gathered skirt, and the two just seemed to go together. A fish skirt needs to be floaty, obviously.

The fabric is palest blue, with little fishies swimming all over it!
The print is by Heather Ross, and I bought it from Cia's Palette.

Close-up of the fish

Fish skirt! Fish skirt



It's a calf-length (27" plus waistband) gathered skirt, with an elasticated waistband. The hem of the skirt is 88" around, so it's pretty full.

The skirt is lined - the lining is edged with horsehair braid for extra stiffness. Not enough to make the skirt stand up on its own, but enough to make it nice and full without needing a petticoat underneath!

For those of you who might assume that elasticated skirts are somehow "lumpy", you can see here that the top gives you a perfectly smooth waistline!



I plan to add this skirt to the web shop, and offer it in four lengths - 21" (knee length), 27" (calf length), 36" (ankle length) and 39" (floor length). The two shorter lengths will cost £40. The longer lengths will cost £60, as they're also more full.


I can't wait to wear this one. I might even put a petticoat underneath it, for extra fluffiness.

No comments: