Monday 17 December 2007

Golden Petticoat

I have started the process of making this renaissance-style dress for Faerierhona:



and having clarified some details with her today, I now need to make a trip to the fabric shop before I can start work on the dress proper.

In the meantime, I've now done as much as I can on the underskirt, without having Faerierhona inside it to check the fit.

The pattern helpfully says, "purchased petticoat", although I'm not sure why, when you could make this matching chemise pattern to go underneath. In order to avoid having miles of bulky petticoat, I decided to go for a slimmer under-dress, and have made a version of my basic tunic.

Rhona's Gold Petticoat Rhona's Gold Petticoat


(The dress is for a fantasy costume, so historical accuracy is not a consideration.)

I extended the hemline to make the dress floor length, but without adding too much width. However, it is still wide enough to accommodate a hoop underneath, should Faerierhona so desire.

The sleeves are my usual raglan shape, extended to the wrist, and nice and wide. Faerierhona can decide whether we're going to leave the sleeves floppy, or whether she'd prefer them gathered into a cuff.

The neckline will be finalised when the overdress is made. The pattern illustrations show one version with an off-the-shoulder underdress, the other with it gathered up quite high to the neck. This tunic can be made to do either, or something in between!

The deadline for the whole outfit is New Year's Eve, so you'll be seeing a lot more of this one over the next couple of weeks...

No comments: