Sunday 27 April 2008

More slippers...

The monkey slippers are finished!

I added some felt soles, with a decorative blanket stitch to neatly finish off the edges. I hadn't worked blanket stitch for approximately 28 years, but it was lovely to have a look through my Great Aunt's sewing book from 1940, for a little refresher course. :)

Almost finished slippers! Monkey slippers - the finished soles


I love these monkey slippers with a fiery passion, and I have managed to find a single fat quarter of the same fabric, but with the nuts/gourds in purple rather than brown. If I buy it, I can make one more pair of monkey slippers... or of course you can all have something different!

I've also finished my second pair of slippers - these are a slip-on mule style, made from skull and crossbones print fleece.

Skull fleece slippers


The uppers are made from two layers of fleece, with a layer of denim sandwiched in between for strength. The soles are made from a layer of fleece, then denim, then heavy buckram, and finally felt on the bottom. (This is what the soles look like.)

The monkey slippers have a layer of foam rubber in the sole, which makes them extremely squashy and comfortable to walk on. They feel a bit tight the first time you put them on, but after a couple of days the foam compacts down nicely. The mule slippers don't have any foam in the soles at all, which is something I want to change about them. I think it would be nice if they were a bit softer. I also need to make some changes to the felt soles, to make them a little safer. They're a bit slippery on laminate flooring - I've almost gone skating a couple of times!




If anybody would be interested in buying the skull slippers, they're a size 6/39, and can be yours for the bargain prototype price of a fiver!

I'm not taking formal customer orders for slippers yet, but if you'd like to help me by testing out a slightly experimental pair (possibly involving you drawing around your feet), please drop me a comment, and we can work something out. :)




And now, it's back to beating my head against the Zen Cart template setup. I'm supposed to be a professional web designer - I will not let this defeat me!

No comments: