Sunday 27 April 2008

Tired and Inspired.

Insomnia is not my friend. Half past six on a Sunday morning is a terrible thing to see, especially if you've already been up for two hours. I plan to snooze in the bath later this morning.

Thankfully the internet is a twenty-four hour operation, and instead of wasting half the night on Cute Overload or I Can Has Cheezburger, addictive as they both are, I've been reading lots of inspirational blogs.

This list is mostly for my benefit, so I'll remember where I've been, but I thought it might be useful to other people as well.


Lauren and Emira have a book and a blog called "The Boss of You". It's about being a designer and an entrepreneur, and gives excellent advice on setting up and running your own business.

Jenny Hart talks about Crafting a Business - this article specifically talks about some of the copyright and licensing ideas I that I was discussing the other day.

At decor8, Marcia Zia-Priven talks about finding your niche as a designer.

Design For Mankind has several interesting posts about "Roadmaps", and how they can help you as a creative businessperson. Follow the links to other blogs and websites, for even more inspirational designers and crafters!

I became quite a fan of Seth Godin after I bought one of his books, Small is the New Big. I read his blog regularly, and he always seems to have something relevant to say.



I also bought three interesting books this week:

DIY: Design It Yourself is full of inspirational design ideas, coupled with extremely useful practical advice - something which is missing in a great many craft books!

Fabric Jewellery contains twenty-five projects which I will almost certainly never make. But it's already inspired me to think in different ways about the materials that I already have at home, which is exactly what I'd hoped it would do.

Sustainable Fashion & Textiles: Design Journeys is a series of essays by Kate Fletcher, about various aspects of the fashion industry and how they can be approached in a more ethical manner. I haven't read this yet (6:30 on a Sunday morning is probably not the best time to start!), but I'm looking forward to learning some interesting things, and seeing what differences I can make myself.


As it happens, I didn't exactly buy that last book - I bartered it for one of my duvet cover skirts. I'm more than happy to be paid in goods rather than money (sometimes - books don't pay the bills!), so if I've made something that you like, please feel free to barter for it, if you've got something that I might like in exhange.

No comments: