Monday 14 April 2008

The sleeves make all the difference...

This is McCalls 5444, last seen in February, languishing without sleeves.

Rhona came over last week for her fitting, so I've now been able to add the sleeves and most of the trimmings.

M5444 - work in progress M5444 - sleeves
M5444 - sleeves M5444 - sleeves and trim


I did cheat a bit on the sleeves... the outer layer is made up of seven pieces for each sleeve, and the lining was supposed to be another four. Rather than cutting and assembling 22 pieces, I decided to cut the sleeve linings in one piece. I put together the outer layer, pressed all the seams, and then traced around the finished piece to make a template for the lining. Much better than having all those seams on the inside for no real reason!

The purple organza trim was a lucky find at work, earlier in the year. I grabbed everything that was left on the roll, and thankfully I have plenty. The trim is on every sleeve seam, under the bust and around the neckline.

All I need to do now is make the panel for the eyelets in the back, and add some trimmings to the hem and centre fronts. Hopefully that should go together a bit more quickly than the sleeves!

No comments: