Friday 30 November 2007

Not bad for a bad day...

Today was threatening to turn into a distinctly unproductive one. I've got a stinking cold (not quite man-flu, but close!), and whilst I'd spent the morning sewing well, I seemed to send the afternoon unpicking everything again. Not good.

So, I figured it would be a good idea to step away from the complicated princess-seamed bodice, and pick up something more simple.

I've been wanting to sew Butterick 4928 for ages, and as it's basically just four huge pieces sewn together into a coat-shape, I thought I might as well give it a go.

Here's the pattern picture:

Butterick B4928


It's a new pattern, reproduced from a Butterick 1952 original.

I, however, decided to make in in a skull-and-crossbones printed polyester fleece. Well, it recommends using fleece on the pattern envelope, and I had three metres of this just lying about, so why not?

Here's how it looks so far:

Skull fleece swing jacket Skull fleece swing jacket


Once again, you can't really see what this coat looks like, or more importantly how it feels by looking at a picture on a mannequin. I'm sure lots of you are looking at it and thinking, "but it looks like a tent!" I can assure you that when you put it on, it feels like the most glamorous coat you have ever worn.

It makes you want to swirl around - this coat would be perfect for ice skating out of doors. Or maybe for standing on the balcony of a ski-lodge, in the dark, sipping champagne as the snow falls gently around you. Really, it's that kind of coat. Honest.


It's not finished yet - it needs facings and interfacing, and maybe one ginormous button. You can form a queue to fight me for it, when it's done. ;)

No comments: