Monday 23 June 2008

Progress on the damask coat...

This is where I'm up to on the damask coat:

Jenny's Pirate Coat

I'm stalled on the project for now, as I've just run out of thread. I don't think I opened a fresh reel when I started this project, but I didn't expect 500m to disappear so fast!

Most of today's work has been on the inside of the coat again. The front facings are now in - self fabric, with horsehair canvas inside for stiffness. The same stuff is inside the cuffs, to help them stand up by themselves. My Shed now smells like a stable block, thanks to the application of steam to horsehair. Stinky!

Jenny's Pirate Coat

Here are the cuffs, along with the buttons that I'm going to use.

I have 38 of these little beauties, in three different sizes. Eight for the cuffs, eight for the pockets, twenty for the centre front, and two for the centre back. I might add four more, over the side godets, as long as they won't get caught in the cuffs.

And then I have to do the hem. Between that and the buttons, it might take a while...

No comments: