Monday 30 June 2008

A tiny piece of history.

Inspired by Ruth Singer, I've spent this afternoon making a wall hanging organiser for all my reels of thread.

(Possibly not the cleverest thing to do when suffering with a bad wrist and a splitting headache, but hey.)

My new thread organiser

Take one enormous cork board, a hundred and eighteen panel pins, and a big hammer...

Grandma Rose's old sewing threads

I particularly like "Turkey Red Shade" and "Dk. Shrimp". Giving all of the colours numbers instead of names just isn't as much fun.


Vintage threads

I think these are my favourites. "Barbour's Linen Thread" is perfect for sewing together my little shoes - I only wish I could buy some more!

The Glacé threads are very fine, but strong enough for sewing shoes, books and bags. The 40 weight is also good for quilting, apparently.

Less than forty of the threads on that board are mine - the rest came from my Grandma Rose and my Aunty Sue. My Grandma's 87 now (I think), and I haven't known her to do much sewing during the past 34 years, so some of those threads must be pretty old. I don't know that I'd want to use some of the oldest cottons for sewing seams, but they'd be lovely for decorative work.

I'm extremely amused to notice that, with very few exceptions, these reels of thread represent three generations of loyalty to the same brand. Sylko, Drima and Coats have all become merged over the years, into the thread division of Coats Crafts.

Shame the packaging isn't as beautiful as it used to be.

No comments: