Friday 1 February 2008

Fair Trade batik fabrics, direct from India.

I work part time in a fabric shop, on the days when I'm not busily sewing away in my Shed.

We had a delivery on Wednesday, of a dozen of the most gorgeous batik fabrics.

Imagine my delight to discover that not only are they gorgeous, they're also Fair Trade!

Spinning Tops batik

Bali Chocolate batik


You can see all twelve designs in their own Flickr set. I've also updated the organic & Fair Trade fabrics page on Design By Claire.

All of the designs will be subject to availability - they're extremely popular, and some of them will probably sell out pretty quickly. One of our regular customers asked us to out by five metres of each design for her, before she'd even seen them!

Just as exciting is the news that some of our silk dupions are fairly traded as well - I'm just waiting for an email from the Warehouse to confirm exactly which ones. Hopefully, if we can manage to convince the company owners of the rising demand for both organic and fairly traded fabrics, I'll be able to show you even more examples in the future!

No comments: