Monday 26 May 2008

A lovely compliment.

I wore the hawaiian halter dress to work on Saturday. One of our customers paid me the greatest compliment, by buying the same pattern and fabric so that she could make one for herself. :)

I've also had an email from , saying some very sweet things about the slippers I made for her.

She also gave me some really useful feedback about wearing them (quoted with permission), which will hep me to adjust the pattern for the next pair:

day 1
they are snug but not uncomfortably so, just snug as in brand new and all mine
don't stay on heels though, when you step up you heel flops out, almost like walking in flip flops. (doesn't bother me much though) the back of the slipper doesn't get caught and mashed down when you step down, so up side is your foot settles right back in where it should be when you step down.
seems like the sole could do with a 1/2 inch more in diameter all the way around, not sure why, maybe just because the foan isn't smashed yet.
feels like the satin part is getting wrinkled under my toes, may also be the foam adjusting

day 4
sides have "broken down" because my foot has shifted in the left one so every couple of steps I have to adjust my foot so it is hitting the pad outline instead of my heel being off the left back edge.
no more satin wrinkle under toes, foam is only mashed under my big toes and ball of my foot, but that and the rest is still plenty to shuffle about in. feels like i have socks on not slippers, I like that.

day 6
still same as day 4 so I think this is their stable place of being, the foot shifting I think could be fixed with the back coming off, maybe with some elastic similar to your brocade ones? I think the heel height needs to be almost an inch higher for me at least and then have some elastic.
I still absolutely love them and hardly ever take them off so thank you and hope this helps.


These are pretty much exactly the same things that I experienced with the monkey slippers, so I'm getting a really clear idea of what kinds of changes need to be made:

  • Higher at back of ankle

  • Elastic at back of ankle

  • More ease added to basic foot pattern


I'm busy sewing a coat at the moment, so slippers will have to wait a little while. I'm realy looking forward to getting back to them though, especially now that I've got my John Peacock shoe sourcebook to inspire me!

No comments: