Friday 2 May 2008

The Scalloped Skirt - an Idea.

I've been wanting to make some kind of a scalloped skirt for ages.

I bought this reproduction vintage Butterick pattern a few years ago:

Butterick 6702 - inspiration.


I never got around to making it, because the tutor on the only sewing course I've ever taken deemed it unsuitable for a beginner. I'd already cut out the pattern though, and by the time I felt as though I wasn't a beginner any more, it was several sizes too small. Eventually I'll fiddle about with it so that I can make it in my size, but for now, I'm happy to be inspired by the scallops at the waist.

Then last week I saw this amazing Rob Ryan skirt from Clothkits.

Clothkits Rob Ryan skirt - inspiration


Remember Clothkits? The ones with the seventies-style matching mother and daughter dresses, and the little dolls? Well, they've recently undergone the most amazing transformation, and their website has some amazingly cute clothes and dolls to sew!

I was showing this skirt to Paul, and he asked whether you were supposed to cut it out "all wiggly" at the hem. Well, I guess you're not supposed to, but what's stopping you?

I've been wanting to make a fully lined and completely reversible skirt for ages. It suddenly struck me that a skirt with a scalloped hem would be absolutely ideal for this. You have to join the two layers together at the bottom to make the scallops, so you immediately get a fully lined skirt. All you have to do is be neat and tidy about adding an elasticated waistband (have you any idea how difficult it is to buy a reversible zip?), and you magically have two skirts for the price of one!

I traced out my elasticated skirt pattern in my size, and set about adding the scallops to the hem.

Mathematically challenged.


As you may have noticed, I am not a mathematician. I used to be pretty good at technical drawing, but this ability with a pencil and compass appears to have deserted me, as it took five attempts to draw out the scallops to the right size!

Over the weekend I plan to make a first draft of this skirt, and see how it turns out. If it goes well, I have plans for the Bishopston organic cottons...

No comments: