Sunday 25 May 2008

Simplicity 4072 - the cupcake duro!

Finally, I have finished making Simplicity 4072! I've been working on this all week, and it took far longer to put together than I'd anticipated. I'm feeling thoroughly grumpy about this dress at the moment. It feels like a bit of a Monet - from a distance it looks great, but close up it all goes a but fuzzy. Every time I look at it, I see something that I could have done better.

I'm hoping it'll redemm itself when I actually put it on - although that neckline seems awfully low! I might find myself digging out the leftovers, to make a cupcake-print modesty panel.

Cupcake Duro - the front! Cupcake Duro - back


The cupcake print is a Rowan quilting cotton, also available in other colourways from eQuilter. The plain pink is the Bishopston organic cotton, in Raspberry. It couldn't be a more perfect match for the pink of the cakes!

I do like the look of this dress very much. I bought the pattern a long time ago, inspired by Erin's Darth Vader dress, but I didn't find the perfect fabric combination until I put these two together.

I did find it quite difficult to make though, which surprised me. There are no sleeves to set in, there's no zip... but there is a lot of "pivot at small dot" and "clip to curve", and the neckband was an absolute so-and-so to put on neatly. You're sewing a convex curve to a concave one at the back of the neck, and I had to check at least three times that I was definitely sewing it all together the right way round!

If it stops raining over the Bank Holiday, I'll ask Paul to take some photos of me cavorting about in my new dress. If it looks good on, I have the perfect fabric for at least two more...

No comments: